Apple Dumplings with Cheddar Pastry
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening or butter-flavor shortening
- 1 (4 ounce) package shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (1 cup)
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark seedless raisins
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 small Golden Delicious apples (about 2 pound)
- 1 large egg
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 1/4 cups apple cider or apple juice
- 1/2 cup maple or maple flavor syrup
- Prepare pastry dough: In large bowl, with fork, stir flour and salt.
- With pastry
blender or two knives used scissor-fashion, cut shortening into flour mixture until
mixture resembles coarse crumbs; stir in cheese.
- Sprinkle 8 to 9 tablespoons cold
water, a tablespoon at a time, into mixture, mixing lightly with fork after each
addition until dough is just moist enough to hold together.
- With hands, shape dough into ball.
- In small bowl, with fork, mix brown sugar, raisins, walnuts, butter or
margarine and cinnamon.
- Peel apples; remove cores but do not go all the way through apples.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Reserve 1/3 cup pastry dough. On well floured surface, with floured rolling pin,
roll out remaining dough into 21 x 14-inch rectangle. With pastry wheel or knife,
cut dough into six 7-inch squares.
- In cup, with fork, beat egg and 1 teaspoon water. Center an apple on square of
dough. Spoon one-sixth of sugar mixture into cavity in apple. Brush edges of square
with some egg mixture. Bring points of square up over apple, pinching edges together
to seal well.
- Repeat with remaining dough squares, apples and sugar mixture. With pancake turner,
place dumplings in greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- On floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll out reserved dough 1/4 inch
thick. Cut 12 leaves from dough; score with tip of knife to make "veins."
Brush dumplings with some egg mixture; press 2 leaves on top of each dumpling and
brush them with egg mixture. Press cloves, rounded-side down, into dumplings to
- Bake dumplings for 35 minutes.
- In bowl, with spoon, stir apple cider and maple syrup; pour cider mixture over
- Bake dumplings 15 minutes longer (cover with foil after 3 minutes if
dumplings are overbrowning), basting occasionally with cider mixture in baking dish,
until pastry is golden brown and apples are tender when pierced with skewer.
Source: Good Housekeeping
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.