Apple Marshmallow Dumplings
Serve hot with heavy cream.
- 6 medium size apples, quartered
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 24 large marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 large marshmallows
- Cook apples in water until tender, but not soft.
- Add salt and 24 marshmallows.
Cook over low heat until marshmallows melt.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Cut in shortening.
- Add milk to make a soft dough.
- Drop by spoonsful on top of hot apple mixture to make 8 dumplings.
- Put one marshmallow on top of each dumpling.
- Cover tightly and steam 20 minutes without removing cover.