Boiled Apple Dumplings
- 2 tablespoons plus 6 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour, sifted
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 large apples
- Additional milk and sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Sift together 2 tablespoons sugar, the baking powder, salt and flour. Cut in
shortening and stir in 1/4 cup milk.
- On a floured board, roll out the dough to about 1 1/2 inch thickness. Cut dough
into 6 squares.
- Peel and cut apples in half and core them. Put 1/2 of an apple on each piece
of dough. Place one teaspoon sugar onto each apple. Pull up the corners of each
dough square and close them together, press to seal well. Tie each dumpling into
a piece of cheesecloth or muslin.
- Drop dumplings into a large pot of boiling water. Cook about 25 minutes.
- Serve with milk, sugar and cinnamon.
Source: Good Old Days - October 1994