Burnt Sugar Dumplings
These are delicious served warm with scoops of ice cream.
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1/3 teaspoon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional
- In a large heavy skillet brown 1/2 cup sugar. It begins to caramelize but will
dissolve when other ingredients are added.
- Remove from heat and add remaining sugar,
butter, salt and water. Stir until lumps melt.
- Put back on heat. Add flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Cut in butter.
milk and mix dumpling dough stirring until dough clings together.
- Drop dumpling
dough into boiling syrup.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Serves 10 to 15.