Burnt Sugar Dumplings
These are delicious served warm with scoops of ice cream.
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional
- In a large heavy skillet brown 1/2 cup sugar. It begins to caramelize but will
dissolve when other ingredients are added.
- Remove from heat and add remaining sugar,
butter, salt and water. Stir until lumps melt.
- Put back on heat. Add flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Cut in butter.
- Add milk and mix dumpling dough stirring until dough clings together.
- Drop dumpling dough into boiling syrup.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Serves 10 to 15.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.