Butterscotch Apple Dumplings
These are an old-time favorite!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 medium apples, pared, cored and halved
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons margarine
- Dash of salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- Combine flour with baking powder, salt and 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar.
- Cut in shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add milk, mixing until soft dough is formed.
- Knead dough on lightly floured board 1 minute.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch square pan.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each half to 1/8 inch thickness and cut into two 5
x 5-inches. Place apple half on each square. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon of
combined sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Moisten edges of dough and bring corners up
over apples, pressing edges together. Place in pan with joined edges on top.
- Mix together brown sugar, margarine and salt; add water, stir and bring to a
- Pour over dumplings in pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Serve warm.