Old-Fashioned Apple Dumplings
- 6 medium-size baking apples
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon or nutmeg
- Dumplings: Pare and core apples. Leave whole.
- To make pastry, sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Cut in shortening until particles are about the size of small peas.
- Sprinkle milk over mixture and press together lightly, working dough only enough to hold together.
- Roll dough as for pastry and cut into 6 squares and place an apple on each. Fill cavity in apple
with sugar and cinnamon. Pat dough around apple to cover it completely. Fasten edges securely on top of apple. Place dumplings 1 inch apart in a greased baking pan. Pour the sauce over them.
- Sauce: Combine brown sugar, water and spices. Cook for 5 minutes; remove from heat and add butter.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes. Baste occasionally during baking.
- Serve hot with rich milk or cream.