Red Hot Apple Dumplings
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup Crisco
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 6 tart cooking apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon Red Hots candy
- Dumplings: Sift flour with salt.
- Make a paste of 1/4 cup of flour and 1/4 cup water.
- Cut Crisco into remaining flour, then add flour paste. Mix thoroughly and divide
into 6 parts. Roll each piece into 7- or 8-inch circles.
- Peel apples and core. Set each apple in center of circle. In core hole, put 2
tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon butter, 6 Red Hots and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Fold
up dough around each apple and seal tightly. Arrange in a 2-inch deep baking dish.
- Syrup: Make a syrup of sugar, water, butter and Red Hots; bring to a boil.
- Pour the syrup over dumplings in baking dish and bake at 425 degrees F for 40 to 50 minutes.
Baste the dumplings with the syrup several times while baking.