Red Hot Apple Dumplings
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup Crisco
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 6 tart cooking apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon Red Hots candy
- Dumplings: Sift flour with salt.
- Make a paste of 1/4 cup of flour and 1/4 cup water.
- Cut Crisco into remaining flour, then add flour paste. Mix thoroughly and divide
into 6 parts. Roll each piece into 7- or 8-inch circles.
- Peel apples and core. Set each apple in center of circle. In core hole, put 2
tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon butter, 6 Red Hots and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Fold
up dough around each apple and seal tightly. Arrange in a 2-inch deep baking dish.
- Syrup: Make a syrup of sugar, water, butter and Red Hots; bring to a boil.
- Pour the syrup over dumplings in baking dish and bake at 425 degrees F for 40 to 50 minutes.
Baste the dumplings with the syrup several times while baking.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.