Fried Ice Cream Puffs
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 eggs
- 3 1/3 cups vanilla ice cream
- Vegetable oil
- Raspberry or other fruit-flavored syrup
- Combine water and butter in a medium saucepan; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce
heat to low and add flour, stirring vigorously until mixture leaves sides of pan
and forms a smooth ball.
- Remove saucepan from the heat, and allow mixture to cool
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating with a wooden spoon after each addition; beat
until batter is smooth.
- Drop batter by scant one-third cupsful about 3 inches apart onto lightly greased
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes or until golden brown and puffed.
Cool puffs on wire racks away from drafts.
- Cut off top of each puff; pull out and discard soft dough inside. Fill bottom
halves with vanilla ice cream, and cover with top halves.
- Wrap in aluminum foil and freeze.
- Fry ice cream puffs in deep hot oil (350 degrees F) for 30 to 40 seconds or until
- Drain on paper towels, and serve immediately with fruit-flavored syrup.