Amazing Baked Apples
- 1/4 cup walnut or pecan pieces
- 4 medium-size tart apples (see note), such as Granny Smith or Braeburn
- 6 tablespoons (about) light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice or ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons butter
- Spread the nuts in a microwave-safe plate, and microwave, uncovered, on HIGH,
for 3 minutes, or until fragrant and toasted. Remove the dish from the microwave,
and set aside.
- While the nuts cook, core the apples, but do not peel them. Place the apples
in a shallow microwave-safe dish, such as a glass pie plate. (Cut a little off the
base of the apples if they do not sit upright in the dish.) Microwave the apples,
uncovered on HIGH, for 6 minutes to partially cook them.
- While the apples cook, finely chop the nuts, and set them aside. Pour the brown
sugar into a small dish, and add the apple pie spice. Stir well, and set aside.
- Using oven mitts, carefully remove the apples from the microwave. Put 1 tablespoon
chopped nuts, and 1 tablespoon brown sugar into the cavity of each apple, packing
it into the cavity. (Depending on the size of the apples and the core opening, you
may be able to use a little more sugar.) Place the butter on top of the sugar.
- Return the dish to the microwave, and continue to cook, uncovered on HIGH, until
the apples are tender when pierced with a knife, about 6-8 minutes more. Using oven
mitts, carefully remove the dish from the microwave.
- Use a large serving spoon to place each apple into a shallow dessert bowl. Spoon
the sugar syrup and any nuts that have accumulated in the cooking dish evenly over
the apples. Allow the apples to cool while eating dinner (for at least 10 minutes
or up to 20 minutes).
- Serve warm.
Nutrition values per serving: 242 calories (32 percent from fat), 9 g fat
(3 g saturated), 42 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 1 g protein, 10 mg cholesterol,
47 mg sodium
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.