Bing Cherry Fritters
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups Bing cherries, pitted
- Oil for frying
- Sifted confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cinnamon.
- Add the milk, egg yolks, oil and lemon juice and beat until smooth.
- In a large bowl, whip the egg whites until soft peaks form, then gently fold
them into the batter.
- Fold in the pitted cherries.
- In a deep, heavy saucepan, heat 3 inches of oil to 375 degrees F.
- Drop a few tablespoonsful of the batter into the hot oil and fry for 3 to 5 minutes, or until
- Drain on paper towels and keep warm in a very low oven.
- Repeat until all the batter is cooked.
- Serve at once, topped with confectioners' sugar.