Bourbon Baked Apples
- 1 lemon
- 4 small tart apples
- 8 teaspoons Bourbon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- Grate 1 teaspoon of the colored part of the peel from the lemon and squeeze 1
tablespoon of juice.
- Cut the apples in half, then core them.
- Place the apple halves, cut side up, in the baking dish. Sprinkle with the lemon
juice and Bourbon. Pour 2 tablespoons water around, not over, the apples.
- In a small dish, use your fingers to rub together the butter, brown sugar, pie
spice, and lemon peel until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over the cut sides of the apples.
- Bake, spooning the juices over the apples once or twice, until the apples are
just fork-tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve warm with the pan juices spooned over them.
Yield: 4 servings