Drunken Stuffed Apples
- 6 medium baking apples (Rome, McIntosh, Cortland)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) softened butter
- 1 cup whiskey
- 6 slices Provolone cheese
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. With a long, thin knife, carefully core apples and
slice about one-quarter inch off the bottom so the apples will stand in a baking
dish. Rub inside with lemon juice.
- In a medium-size bowl, mix remaining ingredients, except whiskey and cheese,
and gently stuff the cored apples and place in square baking dish that's small
enough so the apples touch or are as close together as possible.
- Drizzle whiskey over top and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, then remove foil. Apples
should be softened, but not mushy.
- Baste with whiskey liquid, then place a slice
of cheese atop each apple and return to oven.
- Bake a few minutes more until cheese
is melted and just begins to brown.
- Serve immediately.
This is wonderful with grilled pork tenderloin.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Fruit Recipes