French Caramelized Apples
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 to 5 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine 4 tablespoons of the butter with the cup of sugar and a tablespoon of
water in a 10- or 12-inch nonstick ovenproof skillet, and turn the heat to medium.
Cook, shaking the pan occasionally (don't stir), until the sugar melts into
the butter and the mixture bubbles.
- Turn off the heat and add the apples in layers;
about halfway through, dot with some of the remaining butter and sugar. Use the
remaining butter and sugar on top of the last layer, along with the cinnamon if
you like. Put in the oven.
- Bake, undisturbed, until the apples give up their liquid and it evaporates and
the sides of the mass are dark brown and sticky looking. This will take around 45
minutes, but it could be considerably longer or shorter depending on the water content
of your apples.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Serve straight from the pan, or for a more attractive presentation, invert onto
Serves approximately 6 to 8.
Shared by Recipe Goldmine by Cara.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Fruit Recipes