Fresh Fruit with Rose Water Syrup
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- 4 oranges
- 2 cups red grapes, halved
- 1 (1 pint) basket strawberries, halved
- 1 pear, cored, sliced
- Stir 1 1/2 cups water and sugar in heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat
until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat to medium-high.
- Add cinnamon; boil until syrup
is reduced to scant 1 cup, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in rose water; cool.
- Using small sharp knife, cut off peel and white pith from oranges.
- Working over
large bowl, cut between membranes to release segments into bowl.
- Add grapes, berries
and pear; toss to combine.
- Mix in syrup. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Cover and
- Spoon fruit and syrup into 6 bowls.
Source: Bon Appetit January 1999