Fruit Wands with Vanilla Rum Syrup
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean (about 7 inches) or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup rum
- 2 tablespoons long, thin shreds of orange peel
- 2 star fruit (about 6 ounces total), rinsed
- 2 cups pineapple chunks
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and rinsed
- Put sugar in a 1 1/2- to 2-quart pan.
- Using a small, sharp knife, slit vanilla
bean lengthwise. Scrape seeds from pod into sugar; add pod to sugar.
- Stir in rum, orange peel, and 2 cups water.
- Stir often over high heat until mixture boils and is reduced to 1 3/4 cups, about
- Remove vanilla pod (let dry and store airtight for other uses).
- Let syrup cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, trim and discard ends from star fruit; cut fruit crosswise into 1/2-inch
slices. Using a small, sharp knife, remove any seeds.
- Poke sharp end of one skewer through skin edge of each star fruit piece. Also
poke one skewer through each pineapple chunk and strawberry.
- Put skewers, fruit ends down, in a deep bowl.
- Pour syrup over fruit.
- Provide napkins to catch drips as guests pick up wands to eat.
Makes 8 servings
You'll need about 50 thin wood skewers. If making up to 2 hours ahead,
let fruit stand in syrup. Use leftover syrup to flavor glasses of iced sparkling
Nutritional Information: Per serving: 149 cal., 1.8 percent (2.7 cal.) from
fat; 0.4 g protein; 0.3 g fat (0 g sat.); 33 g carbo (1.2 g fiber); 1.4 mg sodium;
0 mg chol.
Source: Sunset Recipe Annual 2000