Melon en Surprise (Surprise Melon)
Start this dish at least a couple of hours before you intend to serve it.
- 1 cantaloupe or other small melon
- 2 cups (500 ml) fresh fruit
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Marsala wine, sweet sherry or 1 tablespoon Kirsch
ounces (150 g) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) milk
- Chopped nuts
- Peel the whole cantaloupe, muskmelon, honeydew melon or other small melon. Cut
a piece off one end to make a 4- to 5-inch round opening. Scoop out the seeds then
remove most of the melon flesh in bite-size pieces leaving a wall thick enough to
contain the filling.
- Toss the melon pieces with about 2 cups of fresh raspberries
or strawberries, fresh, frozen or canned pineapple chunks or peach slices, grapes
- Sprinkle lightly with sugar and 1/4 cup of Marsala wine, sweet sherry or 1
tablespoon of Kirsch.
- Fill the center of the melon with the tossed fruit mixture;
replace the top.
- Blend the softened cream cheese with 2 tablespoons of milk and use this mixture
to frost the outside of the melon.
- Sprinkle the chopped nuts over the cheese.
for 1 to 2 hours.
- To serve, stand the melon on a plate and surround it with leftover fruit.
One melon makes 3 or 4 servings.
Source: Good Housekeeping's Around the World Cook Book - 1958