Peaches in Red Wine Raspberry Syrup
- 2 cups Beaujolais
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, or more to taste
- 1 cup fresh raspberries plus raspberries for garnish
- 4 large unblemished freestone
- Combine the wine, water and sugar in a nonreactive saucepan and warm, stirring,
until sugar dissolves.
- Put 1 cup raspberries in a glass or ceramic bowl and pour the warmed wine mixture
over them. Let macerate until cool, or refrigerate overnight.
- Pass this mixture through a food mill or fine strainer to get all the raspberry
juice into the wine, leaving the seeds behind. Taste for sweetness; add a little
more sugar, if desired.
- A few hours before serving, cut the peaches in half and carefully peel them,
being careful to preserve their beautiful shape. Slice each half thickly, yielding
4 to 5 slices per half. Place the slices in the chilled syrup and refrigerate until
just before serving.
- To serve, divide the peaches among compote dishes and ladle enough of the syrup
into each dish to partially cover the peaches. Garnish with a few fresh raspberries.
Per serving: 150 calories, 1g protein, 29g carbohydrate, 0 fat, 0 cholesterol,
4mg sodium, 2g fiber