Pears in Red Wine
Simple and delicious, so do try this one.
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup red wine
- 2 1/2 cm (1-inch) piece of cinnamon stick
- 6 eating pears
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot
- Place the sugar, water, wine and cinnamon in a pan. Heat gently until the sugar
is dissolved. Bring to the boil and boil for 5 minutes.
- Peal the pears, leaving on the stalks, and place in the prepared syrup. Cover
and simmer gently for 20 to 30 minutes until translucent.
- Discard the cinnamon stick.
- Arrange the pears on a serving dish.
- Mix the arrowroot with a little water then add to the syrup and bring to the
boil, stirring. Simmer, stirring for 1 minute until clear. Leave to cool.
- Spoon over the pears and chill.
- Serve with whipped cream.
From the kitchen of Martin James – Copenhagen, Denmark