Pineapple Fritters with Vanilla Sauce
- 1 large can sliced pineapple (about 12 slices)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, separated
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup white rum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- Canola oil (for deep-frying)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- Fritters: Drain juice from pineapple.
- Pour 2/3 of the rum into the can with the
pineapple and marinate for about an hour.
- In a bowl, mix butter with milk and baking powder.
- Add the egg yolk, confectioners'
sugar, flour and remaining 1/3 of the white rum. Mix well and let stand for about
- Beat the egg white until stiff. Fold into the batter.
- Dip pineapple slices in the batter until well coated.
- Deep fry in hot oil for about 3 to 5 minutes, until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels, then serve hot.
- Serve with Vanilla Sauce.
- Vanilla Sauce: Dissolve sugar and cornstarch with water in a saucepan.
- Add butter, vanilla extract and milk.
- Stir and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes until thick.