- 6 Rome apples
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, plus more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, or as needed
- 1/2 cup grenadine or raspberry syrup
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- With a paring knife, cut out the core from the bottom of each apple without cutting
all the way to the center. Hollow out the core at the top of each apple, leaving
a little of the core in the middle to help the apples keep their shape. Neatly peel
the top half of each apple.
- Place the apples in a shallow baking dish in one layer.
- Sprinkle the peeled parts of the apples lightly with the sugar and cinnamon.
Drizzle the grenadine over and around the apples; there should be a shallow pool
of syrup in the bottom of the dish.
- Bake the apples until tender but not mushy,
45-60 minutes. During the last 10 or 15 minutes, baste the apples once or twice
with the syrup in the dish.
- Remove the pan from the oven and turn on the broiler.
- Spoon some of the syrup over the tops of the apples.
- Run them under the broiler,
watching carefully, until the syrup just begins to caramelize, about 2 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature before serving.
Yield: 6 servings
Classic Home Desserts by Richard Sax
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Fruit Recipes