Spiced Stewed Peaches
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 whole star anise* (optional)
- 6 to 8 firm, ripe peaches, peeled and cut in half, stones
* Star anise is available in the spice section of finer supermarkets and in Asian
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan over moderate heat
and boil for 2 minutes.
- Add the peach halves and boil uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Place the peaches in clean jars and bring the remaining syrup to a boil.
over the peaches and seal the jars.
Yield: about 6 cups
Will keep refrigerated for up to 3 weeks.