Watermelon does double duty: the pureed juice replaces water in the gelatin and
the empty shell becomes a bowl for this refreshing dessert.
- 1/2 of 16-pound seedless watermelon
- 4 (3 ounce) packages JELL-O Cherry Flavor Gelatin
- Cut 1/2-inch-thick slice from rounded bottom of watermelon half to prevent
it from rolling around. Scoop watermelon pulp into large bowl; reserve shell.
Blend pulp, in batches, in blender until smooth; pour each batch of juice into
separate large bowl. (You should have about 7 cups juice.)
- Pour 2 cups juice into saucepan; bring to boil. Remove from heat.
- Add dry gelatin mixes; stir for 2 minutes until completely dissolved.
- Add to remaining juice in large bowl; mix well.
- Refrigerate for 45 minutes or until thickened, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Pour into watermelon shell. Refrigerate 3 hours or until firm.
- When gelatin is firm, cut away any watermelon rind that extends above the
Prep Time 10 min.
Total Time 3 hr. 55 min.
16 servings, 1/2 cup each
Reprinted with permission from