Almond Ice Cream in Almond Phyllo Shells
Almond Ice Cream
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds
- 2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
Almond Phyllo Shells
- 3 sheets filo dough
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, chopped super fine
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Almond Ice Cream: Reduce the almonds to a powder.
- Add the milk and heavy cream
to a saucepan with the almonds. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Mix the egg yolks with the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the almond mixture
and mix well. Return the mixture to the saucepan. Heat mixture over medium low heat
until the custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Do not boil.
- Strain custard into a clean bowl and refrigerate until cold.
- Freeze ice cream according to manufacturer's directions.
- Transfer to a container and freeze until firm.
- Serve in Almond Phyllo Shells.
- Almond Phyllo Shells: In a small bowl, combine the butter and almond extract
and stir until smooth.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the almonds on a jellyroll pan and toast until they are fragrant, 3 to
5 minutes. Remove the almonds from the oven and sprinkle them with the salt.
- Set the first filo sheet on a work surface and brush with some butter. Sprinkle
half of the almonds over the top, concentrating on the middle third of the filo
- Lay a second filo sheet over the top and press down around the edges to seal
it to the bottom sheet.
- Brush the second sheet with more melted butter and sprinkle over the remaining
almonds. Top with the third filo sheet, and press to seal. Cut the filo into 6 squares.
Gently press them into a cupcake tins to form shells.
- Bake the shells until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove and set aside to cool.