Amaretto Peach Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 pounds peaches, peeled, pitted, sliced
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup crumbled amaretti cookies
- 3 tablespoons Amaretto
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups well-chilled heavy cream
- In a bowl toss peaches with 1/4 cup sugar and lemon juice and let mixture stand for 30 minutes.
- Drain mixture and puree peaches in a food processor.
- In heavy saucepan combine remaining 3/4 cup sugar with 1/4 cup water, bring mixture
to a boil over moderate heat, washing down the sides of pan with a pastry brush dipped in cold water, and simmer the syrup until it is a pale golden caramel.
- Add 1/2 cup boiling water carefully (mixture will bubble vigorously) and simmer mixture,
stirring, until caramel is dissolved.
- In a small bowl sprinkle the cookies with Amaretto and let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl with electric mixer beat egg yolks until they are thick and pale.
- Add syrup in a stream, beating, and beat mixture until cool.
- Stir in vanilla extract, peach puree, cookie mixture and cream.
- Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions.
Yield: about 2 quarts