Banana Custard Ice Cream
- About 1 3/4 cups sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 eggs, separated
- Granulated sugar, to taste
- 4 bananas
- Juice of 1 lime or lemon
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- Add enough water to the condensed milk to make 1 quart.
- Put the cornstarch in a cup and stir in a little milk until smooth.
- In a heavy-based saucepan, bring the remaining milk to a boil. Pour into the
blended cornstarch, stirring. Return the mixture to the boil again, stirring constantly.
Continue to cook until the mixture thickens. Check for sweetness.
- Beat the egg yolks, with sugar if needed, in a bowl and stir in the hot milk.
- Mash the bananas with the lime or lemon juice and beat into the custard with the
- Leave to cool, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the mixture into a container, cover and freeze until just becoming firm.
- Beat well in a bowl.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff, but not dry, and fold into the custard.
- Spoon the mixture back into the container.
- Cover and freeze until firm.
- About 30 minutes before serving, transfer the ice cream to the refrigerator.
Serves 6 to 8.