Basic Chocolate Ice Cream Base
- 2 quarts cream
- 2 quarts milk
- 3 pounds granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 12 to 16 ounces melted semisweet chocolate
- 4 cups egg yolks
- 1/4 cup vanilla extract
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, combine the cream, milk, sugar, salt and
- Temper in the egg yolks (that is, add a little of the hot liquid to the
egg yolks to warm them, then slowly add the egg yolks to the hot mixture).
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Cook until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Use immediately, or chill in the refrigerator.
Makes 5 quarts.