Bittersweet Chocolate Ice Cream
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) bars Tobler bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 large egg yolks (at room temperature)
- Pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine chopped chocolate, half-and-half and milk in a medium size saucepan. Cook, stirring, over low heat until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth, being careful not to scorch. Set aside.
- Beat egg yolks with the salt and sugar until sugar is dissolved.
- Add 1/2 cup of the chocolate mixture to the yolks to warm them, mix thoroughly, then add yolk
mixture to the balance of the chocolate mixture.
- Return to heat and cook slowly, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat a spoon, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla extract off the heat and allow to cool.
- Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
Yield: about 1 quart