Blackberry Ice Cream
- 4 cups fresh blackberries
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 cups whipping cream
- Garnishes: fresh blackberry and fresh mint leaves
- Line a colander with two layers of dampened cheesecloth. Set over large bowl.
- Combine berries and water in medium saucepan. Slowly bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Pour into cheesecloth-lined strainer. Let stand until juice has drained into bowl, about 30 minutes.
- Gently squeeze pulp to extract remaining juice. Measure berry juice into heavy medium saucepan.
- Add 1 cup sugar for each cup juice. Cook over low heat, swirling pan occasionally, until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat and boil syrup 2 minutes. Cool completely.
- Mix 2 1/2 cups of the syrup with cream.
- Refrigerate until well chilled.
- Process blackberry mixture in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions; ice cream will be soft.
- Freeze in covered container several hours to mellow flavors.
- Garnish with fresh berries and mint leaves.