Blueberry Ice Cream with Walnut-Granola Topping
A walnut-granola crumble topping adds crunch and texture to this delectable
blueberry ice cream. It’s the perfect summertime treat!
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups blueberries, pureed
- 1/3 cup blueberries, fresh (optional)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons chopped California walnuts
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- Ice Cream: Cut the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Mix
milk, cream, vanilla bean and seeds in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil
briefly, stirring constantly, and remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar until light yellow.
- Whisking constantly, slowly whisk about a third of the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture. Then whisk
yolk mixture back into the pot with the remainder of hot milk.
- Heat over medium-low heat while stirring constantly (mixture should not boil) until it has
a slightly thick consistency. Pour mixture into a bowl, cover, and let cool in
refrigerator for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.
- Combine milk mixture and pureed blueberries, place in an ice cream machine and let cool for
approximately 30 minutes or according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Place the ice cream in a bowl and freeze for 2 hours.
- Topping: Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine all ingredients and spread on a baking sheet lined
with parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes until it is crunchy, let cool.
- Remove ice cream from freezer, form scoops and sprinkle with
granola and blueberries.
Total Time 40 Min | Serves 8
Nutrition: Calories233 cal Total Fat13 g Polyunsaturated Fat1 g Cholesterol130 mg Sodium28
mg Carbohydrates28 g Dietary Fiber1 g Protein3 g
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission): California Walnuts
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.