Caramel Ice Cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- In a heavy-based saucepan, dissolve sugar in 2/3 cup water and cook over low
heat until it turns a rich golden brown.
- Remove from heat and gradually stir in
another 2/3 cup water. Cover your hand while doing this, as the caramel splatters.
- Return the pan to the heat and stir until the caramel has dissolved.
- Put the milk in a bowl and whip until thick and light.
- Pour the caramel in, still whipping.
- Pour the mixture into a container.
- Cover and freeze until firm, beating well after 1 1/2 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, transfer the ice cream to the refrigerator.