Coconut Ice Cream
For a double coconut treat, stir 1/2 cup (1 1/2 ounces) toasted shredded coconut
into the ice cream during the final minute of processing.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 1/4 cups packed sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 3/4 cup canned sweetened cream of coconut
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- In a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat, place the flaked coconut. Stir the
coconut until it begins to brown, about 7 minutes, watching carefully so it doesn't
- Add the half-and-half and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat. Cover and
let stand for 30 minutes.
- Pour the coconut mixture through a medium-mesh sieve set over a large bowl, pressing
on the coconut with a rubber spatula to extract as much liquid as possible; discard
- Return the coconut milk to the same saucepan and place over medium-high
- Add the cream of coconut and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat.
- In a metal bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until blended. Form a
kitchen towel into a ring and place the bowl on top to prevent it from moving. Gradually
pour the hot coconut-milk mixture into the yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Return
the mixture to the same saucepan and place over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring
slowly and continuously with a wooden spatula, until the custard thickens and leaves
a path on the back of the spatula when a finger is drawn across it, about 5 minutes;
do not allow to boil.
- Pour the custard through the medium-mesh sieve set over a clean bowl.
- Add the whipping cream and stir well.
- Refrigerate the custard until cold, about 1 hour.
- Transfer the custard to an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's
- Transfer the ice cream to a container; cover and freeze until firm,
at least 4 hours or for up to 3 days.
Makes about 4 1/2 cups, 9 servings
Posted by Annette at Recipe Goldmine 8/7/2001 6:18 pm.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Ice Cream Recipes