Coconut Ice Cream
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup, warmed
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Few drops vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Toasted coconut (for garnish)
- Pour milk into a heavy-based saucepan and bring to just below boiling point.
- Put egg yolks with the syrup into a bowl and beat until thick.
- Beat in the hot milk and butter.
- Return the mixture to the rinsed pan and cook over low heat until the
custard thickens, stirring constantly — do not allow it to boil.
- Remove from the
heat and add vanilla extract and coconut and let cool, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the mixture into a container. Cover and freeze until firm, beating twice
at hourly intervals.
- About 40 minutes before serving time, transfer the ice cream to the refrigerator.
- Serve each portion decorated with a sprinkling of toasted coconut.