Custard Ice Cream, Texas-Style
Yield: 2 gallons
- 3 cups milk, scalded (180 degrees F)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon (or more) vanilla extract
- 1 cup Karo syrup
- 2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk, divided
- 2 cups Half-and-Half
- Milk to fill container
- To scalded milk, add mixture of sugar, flour, eggs and salt. Stir constantly and cook until thick.
- Add vanilla extract, Karo syrup and 1 can sweetened condensed milk.
- Pour into ice cream maker can.
- Add Half-and-Half and remaining can sweetened condensed milk.
- Finish filling with milk and freeze according to ice cream maker's instructions.