Eggnog Ice Cream with
Hot Buttered Rum
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed golden
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
tablespoons dark rum
- Ice Cream: Combine whipping cream and milk in heavy medium saucepan.
- Scrape in
seeds from vanilla bean. Add bean. Bring to simmer.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in
large bowl to blend.
- Gradually whisk in hot cream mixture.
- Return mixture to saucepan.
Stir constantly over medium-low heat until custard thickens and leaves path on back
of spoon when finger is drawn across, about 5 minutes (do not boil).
- Strain into
- Mix in rum and nutmeg.
- Refrigerate until cold.
- Process mixture in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Transfer to container and freeze. Can be made 4 days ahead. Keep frozen.
- Sauce: Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add brown sugar,
cream and corn syrup. Boil 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Mix in rum. Cool slightly.
(Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm before using.)
- Scoop ice cream into bowls.
- Spoon warm sauce over ice cream.
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help defray expenses in maintaining this site. Thank you.