Fig Ice Cream
This is an old Louisiana recipe.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1 quart crushed, peeled figs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Combine sugar, water, vinegar and salt and bring to a boil. Cook to the thread
stage (230 degrees F).
- Pour syrup slowly over egg whites, beating constantly until
mixture is thick and smooth.
- Fold in figs and milk.
- Pour mixture into an ice cream
maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
Makes 3 quarts.
Variation: One (29-ounce) can apricots or any other fruit (crushed and pushed
through a sieve) can be used in this, the amount determined by the strength of the
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help defray expenses in maintaining this site. Thank you.