Frozen Custard Ice Cream
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Crushed ice
- Rock salt
- In medium saucepan, beat together eggs, milk, sugar, honey and salt. Cook
over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat a
metal spoon with a thin film and reaches at least 160 degrees F.
- Cool quickly by setting pan in ice or cold water and stirring for a few
- Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 1 hour.
- When ready to freeze, pour chilled custard, whipping cream and vanilla
extract into 1-gallon ice cream freezer can.
- Freeze according to manufacturer's directions
using 6 parts ice to 1 part rock salt.
- Transfer to freezer containers and freeze until firm.
Makes 1 1/2 to 2 quarts.
Banana Nut: Reduce vanilla extract to 1 1/2 teaspoons. Cook
and cool as above. Stir 3 large ripe bananas, mashed and 1/2 cup chopped toasted
pecans into custard mixture. Freeze as above.
Cherry: Reduce vanilla extract to 1 teaspoon. Add 2 tablespoons
almond extract. Cook and cool as above. Partially freeze. Add 2 pounds pitted pureed
dark sweet fresh cherries OR 1 can (16 to 17 ounces) pitted dark sweet cherries,
drained and chopped. Complete freezing.
Chocolate: Add 3 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate
to egg mixture. Cook, cool and freeze as above.
Plum: Reduce vanilla extract to 1 teaspoon. Cook and cool as
above. Partially freeze. Add 1 1/2 pounds pitted pureed ripe fresh plums. Complete
Strawberry: Omit vanilla extract. Cook and cool as above. Partially
freeze. Add 2 cups sweetened crushed fresh strawberries. Complete freezing.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
American Egg Board
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Ice Cream Recipes