Kumquat Ice Cream
- 3/4 pound kumquats, thinly sliced and seeds removed
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream, whipped
- 1 piece of candied ginger, finely chopped (optional)
- Put kumquats, water and sugar in a saucepan; simmer gently until the fruit is
soft. This may take 30 minutes but check occasionally.
- Puree the fruit with the liquid and let cool.
- Fold cream into the puree with the ginger, if used.
- Pour into a container, cover and freeze until firm, beating twice at hourly intervals.
- About 30 minutes before serving, transfer the ice cream to the refrigerator.
- Serve decorated with twisted strips of orange peel and candied ginger.