Lemon Buttermilk Ice Cream
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large lemons
- 1 quart low-fat buttermilk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Place sugar in a medium-size bowl.
- Grate the zest (colored part of the peel)
of two to three lemons to produce 2 teaspoons of zest.
- Juice as many lemons as needed to get 1/2 cup lemon juice.
- Add zest and juice to sugar. Mix well.
- Add buttermilk and salt. Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Chill for 4 hours or overnight.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
Makes 8 (1/2-cup) servings.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 243 calories, 1 gram fat, 1 milligram cholesterol
and 153 milligrams sodium