Lemon Custard Ice Cream
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 5 large egg yolks (at room temperature)
- Grated zest of 1 large lemon
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- Combine sugar and half-and-half in a large saucepan and cook over low heat
until sugar dissolves, stirring constantly. Set aside.
- Beat egg yolks until creamy, then add 1/2 cup of the cream to warm them.
- Return cream mixture to medium-low heat and stir in the warmed yolks. Cook
until the mixture coats the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in the zest and lemon juice. Mix well and allow to cool.
- Pour mixture into an ice cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's
Makes about 1 1/2 pints.