Mango Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 9 large egg yolks
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled and sliced
- In a medium heavy-bottom saucepan, combine the milk, cream and 1 tablespoon of
the sugar. Bring just to a scald.
- Meanwhile, put the remaining sugar (3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons) and the egg yolks
in a large bowl and whisk just to blend.
- While gently whisking the yolks, drizzle
the hot cream mixture into them so that they are gradually warmed up.
- Return the
mixture to the saucepan and set over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring with a wooden
spoon (making sure that you are constantly scraping the spoon across the bottom
of the pan), until the custard has thickened slightly and coats the back of the
- Strain the custard through a fine sieve into a bowl and nestle it in a larger
bowl of ice. Cool, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, puree the mangoes in a food processor fitted with the metal blade.
- Whisk the mango puree into the cooled custard.
- Transfer to an ice cream maker and
freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Transfer to a storage container and freeze until firm.
Makes about 1 quart.
Store for up to 2 weeks in the freezer.