Mexican Ice Cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup English walnuts
- 12 macaroons, crumbled into fine crumbs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 2 cups cream or Half-and-Half
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or cherry extract
- Put the 1 cup granulated sugar into a saucepan over low heat and stir constantly
until it is melted.
- Add walnuts and pour into a shallow buttered pan to harden.
- When walnuts are cold, grate or chop fine.
- Toast the macaroon crumbs in the oven a few moments.
- Make a custard of the egg yolks, the 1/4 cup sugar and the milk. Pour over the
stiffly beaten egg whites and let cool.
- To the cream or half-and half add the 1/3 cup sugar and beat until thoroughly
- Add the custard and flavor with vanilla or cherry extract, then freeze until
- When half frozen, add the macaroon crumbs and half of the grated walnut mixture
and finish freezing.
- Sprinkle the remaining grated walnuts over the cream at serving