Nutty Pistachio Ice Cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup blanched, natural California pistachios, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange peel
- Heat half-and-half in saucepan; stir in sugar and salt. Pour a small amount
of hot half-and-half into egg yolks, stirring constantly.
- Return yolk mixture
to half-and-half; cook and stir over medium heat for about 5 to 10 minutes or
until thickened and creamy. Do not boil. Cool.
- Stir in vanilla extract and heavy cream. Chill.
- Pour into freezer container; follow manufacturer's directions for freezing.
Add pistachios and orange peel when almost frozen; freeze until firm.
- Allow ice cream to stand at least 2 hours in refrigerator-freezer to mellow
Makes 1 1/4 quarts.
Blanching Process: Drop shelled nuts into boiling water, remove from heat and
let them soak for about one minute. Drain and rub the pistachios with a clean kitchen
towel. To dry, spread on a large baking sheet in an oven preheated to 300 degrees
F for 10 to 15 minutes.
Reprinted with permission from
the California Pistachio Commission.