Peach Pit Ice Cream
- 1 1/4 pounds ripe unblemished peaches (about 8 large peaches)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large egg yolks (at room temperature)
- Peel and pit peaches, reserving peach skins and pits.
- In a food processor or
blender, puree peach flesh with the lemon juice. You should have about 2 1/4 cups
of puree. Cover and refrigerate.
- Place skins and pits in a large saucepan along with the cream and milk. Simmer,
covered, over low heat for 20 minutes, being careful not to let mixture boil. It
may look slightly separated because of the acid in the fruit.
- Stir in sugar to dissolve and remove from the heat.
- Whisk yolks and add about 1/2 cup of the hot liquid to warm them. Mix well and
pour warmed yolks into the hot mixture, stirring constantly.
- Return saucepan to
the heat and cook until custard coats the back of a spoon, about 8 minutes. Be careful
not to let mixture boil as it may cause the custard to curdle.
- Press a sheet of wax paper or plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the mixture
and allow to cool.
- When cool, strain and combine with the fruit pulp. Mix and chill.
- Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's
Makes about 1 quart.