Peanut Butter Brittle Ice Cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups roasted unsalted
peanuts (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 1/3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups (18 ounces) smooth
peanut butter (not natural-style)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Dark chocolate sauce (for serving)
- Peanut Brittle: Lightly oil a 12-inch sheet of heavy-duty foil.
- In a dry small heavy saucepan cook sugar over moderate heat, stirring with a
fork, until melted. Cook caramel without stirring, swirling pan, until golden.
peanuts and a pinch salt, stirring until mixture is combined well (caramel will
not completely coat nuts).
- Immediately transfer mixture to foil and cool completely,
about 20 minutes.
- Peel off foil and break brittle into pieces.
- In a food processor pulse brittle until coarsely ground. Brittle may be made
3 days ahead and kept in an airtight container at room temperature.
- In a deep heavy saucepan heat milk, peanut butter and sugar over moderate heat,
stirring constantly, just until smooth (do not let simmer), about 4 minutes.
in vanilla extract, and cool to room temperature (do not chill).
- Freeze mixture
in an ice-cream maker, and transfer to an airtight container.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups
brittle and put in freezer to harden. Ice cream may be made 1 week ahead.
- Serve ice cream with dark chocolate sauce and sprinkle with remaining peanut
Makes about 1 quart.
Nutritional Information: 4544 Calories (kcal); 282g Total Fat; (53% calories
from fat); 149g Protein; 413g Carbohydrate; 77mg Cholesterol; 2692mg Sodium