Persimmon Ice Cream
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 (16 ounce) can sweetened persimmon
- 1 tablespoon Cointreau
- In the top of a double boiler, beat the eggs with a handheld electric just until
- Add the sugar, spices, and salt, and beat until well blended; add half-and-half.
Cook over simmering water until the mixture is thickened and coats a spoon, about
7 or 8 minutes. Don't let it boil.
- Remove from the heat and cool, then refrigerate to chill thoroughly.
- Add 1 cup of the persimmon puree to the chilled custard and blend.
- Transfer the
mixture to the chilled canister of an ice cream freezer, and freeze according to
- Combine the remaining 1/2 cup of puree with the Cointreau and drizzle a little
over each serving of ice cream.
Canned persimmon pulp comes sweetened. If you use unsweetened pulp, increase
the sugar to 3/4 cup.