Pineapple-Orange Frozen Custard
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups (about 1 1/2 pounds) fresh pineapple puree*
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) frozen orange juice concentrate
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Crushed ice
- Rock salt
* To puree, peel and core pineapple. Cut into chunks and place in 5-cup blender container. Cover. Blend at medium speed until smooth.
- In medium saucepan, beat together eggs, milk and sugar. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches 160 degrees F and coats a metal spoon with a thin film.
- Cool quickly by setting pan in ice or cold water and stirring for a few minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 1 hour.
- When ready to freeze, pour chilled custard, puree, whipping cream, juice concentrate, peel and vanilla extract into 1-gallon ice cream freezer container.
- Freeze according to manufacturer’s directions using 6 parts ice to 1 part rock salt.
- Transfer to freezer containers and freeze until firm.
Yield: about 2 quarts
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
American Egg Board