Pineapple-Orange Frozen Custard
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 3 cups (about 1 1/2 pound) fresh
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) frozen
orange juice concentrate
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Crushed ice
- Rock salt
- In medium saucepan, beat together eggs, milk and sugar. Cook over low heat,
stirring constantly, until mixture reaches 160 degrees F and coats a metal spoon
with a thin film.
- Cool quickly by setting pan in ice or cold water and stirring
for a few minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 1 hour.
- When ready to freeze, pour chilled custard, puree, whipping cream, juice
concentrate, peel and vanilla extract into 1-gallon ice cream freezer container.
according to manufacturer’s directions using 6 parts ice to 1 part rock salt.
- Transfer to freezer containers and freeze until firm.
Makes about 2 quarts.
* To puree, peel and core pineapple. Cut into chunks and place in 5-cup blender
container. Cover. Blend at medium speed until smooth.
Recipe and photo credit: American Egg Board.