Praline Ice Cream
- 1 cup milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups cream, whipped
- 2/3 cup shelled, unpeeled almonds
- In a heavy-based pan, gently bring the milk to simmering point.
- Beat the egg
yolks and half the sugar together in a bowl until thick and light then gradually
stir in the milk.
- Pour the mixture back into the rinsed pan and cook gently, stirring
constantly, until the custard thickens, but do not allow it to boil. Leave to cool.
- Fold in the cream, spoon into a container, cover and freeze until just firm.
- To make the praline, dissolve the remaining sugar in 1/3 cup water in another
- Add the almonds and boil for about 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Pour onto a cold, oiled surface and leave to set.
- Place the praline in a thick plastic
bag or clean cloth and hit with a rolling pin to break into small pieces.
- Beat the ice cream in a bowl, and fold in all but 1 tablespoon of the praline.
- Spoon the mixture back into the container, cover and freeze until firm.
- About 20 minutes before serving, transfer the ice cream to the refrigerator.
- Serve decorated with the reserved praline.
Serves 4 to 5.