Pumpkin Ice Cream
- 5 1/3 ounces evaporated milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (canned or fresh cooked)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Combine evaporated milk, egg yolks, brown sugar, and spices in top of double
boiler. Using a wire whisk beat the ingredients until smooth. Place top over simmering
water and cook until custard thickens, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
in 1 cup pumpkin puree. Set aside.
- In medium-size bowl beat egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar until stiff peaks
- Fold beaten egg whites into pumpkin custard.
- Scrape into freezer container
or serving dish, cover tightly, and freeze until firm (about 3 hours).
- Serve directly from freezer (doesn't have to ripen in refrigerator first).
Yields 1 quart.
This ice cream is best if eaten within 1 week.