Sweet Cherry Pie Ice Cream
Yield: 1 quart
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (16 ounce) jar chopped maraschino cherries, drained
- 1 1/2 cups cinnamon Graham crackers, broken into 1-inch pieces
- Heat cream and milk to just below the boil.
- Whisk egg yolks, 1/2 cup granulated sugar and a pinch of salt until just blended.
- Strain hot cream onto egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly.
- Return to saucepan and cook slowly, stirring constantly, until it coats the spoon.
- Strain, add almond extract and cherries. Cool completely.
- Freeze in ice cream machine according to manufacturer's directions.
- Fold in Graham crackers.
- Freeze until firm.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: National Cherry Growers Foundation.