Taffy Apple Ice Cream
A spellbinding taste of the carnival midway from July 1974.
Granny Smith or other tart apples work best in this flavorful ice cream.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 4 beaten eggs
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 3 cups
peeled, cored, and finely chopped apple
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Apple slices
- Caramel ice cream topping
- In a medium saucepan combine sugars, milk and molasses. Cook and stir over medium
heat till sugar dissolves; remove from heat.
- Slowly stir 1 cup of hot milk mixture
into beaten eggs, then return to hot mixture in saucepan. Cook and stir over low
heat just till bubbling; do not boil.
- Remove from heat. Cool slightly. Cover and
- Stir in cream, chopped apple and vanilla extract.
- Freeze in a 4- or 5- quart
ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's directions.
- Ripen for 4 hours.
- Garnish with apple slices and caramel topping, if desired.
Makes about 2 quarts (16 servings).
Posted by Marla at Recipe Goldmine 10/8/2001 7:31 am.